The workshop for precision mechanics and optics opened by Carl Zeiss in Jena in 1846 enjoyed a sustained period of prosperity during its early years. On the basis of Ernst Abbe’s outstanding scientific achievements, a global player in the field of optics gradually evolved. The company’s heyday lasted for a century. The forced partition of Germany as a result of the political situation after World War II resulted in the development of two Zeiss companies. Following the political changes in the former East Germany in 1989/90, the two competitors merged to form a single company in 1990. Reunited, Carl Zeiss became stronger than ever before. Today, the company looks to the future with optimism and excitement.